Sunday, May 11, 2008

Relationships as Patterns, Relationships as Fair Exchange

I just bought new batteries for my handy portable tape recorder. You may notice that the writing style of this post is a little different than my usual; that's because I dictated, then transcribed it.

One of the most important realizations that I've come to in the course of thinking about human beings, human behavior and human relationships is an idea that came to me suddenly while I was reading Gregory Bateson's Steps to an Ecology of Mind: that is, the realization that relationships are not things.

Relationships have no discrete identity; talking about a relationship is not talking about a thing that actually exists. When people conceptualize relationships they conceptualize them as things, but what they actually are is repeated patterns of human behavior: some combination of human needs and human reactions to those needs, between two or more people, that result in a self-reproducing cycle of action.

One of the most important decisions I've ever made -- and I made it pretty recently -- was to stop trying to define relationships and instead to use language only to describe them. That means I've come to accept that calling something a relationship - calling someone a boyfriend, or a girlfriend, or a husband or a wife - has no substantial effect on the nature of what's between you and them.

You could argue this point, and if you did you'd be looking at the question in a more traditional way; to some extent, your objection would be valid. Naming something has an effect (and it's a meaningful effect) but naming a relationship doesn't have an effect on many of the most fundamental principles and forces that create relationships. When I say this I'm talking about affection, and talking about attraction; I'm talking about love*. These are things that cannot be willed into existence, things that have to happen as a reaction to the behavior and (to a lesser extent) the looks of another person.

When two people say things like, "Let's be in a relationship -- do you want to be my girlfriend? -- do you want to go steady?" what they really mean is "Let's execute a plan:" a plan that's often poorly understood and profoundly flawed. This is the plan that they've internalized as "How to make a relationship work."

Typically this plan has to do with commitment. Commitment is a beautiful thing if what you're looking for is a partnership, but the fuel of relationships is emotion and commitment is not an emotion. The same can be said of communication -- an incredible tool to facilitate living with someone in close quarters or negotiating contracts. Unfortunately, contracts do not make girls wet; contracts do not make boys hard. That's not to say that relationships are exclusively about sex, because they're not; more to the point, sex isn't exclusively about sex.

There are people out there who get very, very upset if you suggest that relationships are not about commitment and communication, and a lot of that has to do with fear. From a very young age we are fed a false dichotomy; we are taught that we must accept that realtionships are either built on intimacy, communication and commitment or that relationships are entirely random. Coming from this perspective, it's easy to understand why people might be uncomfortable with the idea that relationships aren't just something you decide to do. What it ignores is the idea that other people might be able to predictably influence our emotions -- that a balance of passion might be something that can be created deliberately in a relationship, might hinge on a set of skills which can be learned.

We are taught that deliberately influencing other peoples' emotional reactions is manipulation, and manipulation is evil. What I'd like to suggest in counterpoint is that putting someone in a position where they want to be with you, where they are powerfully attracted to you and fascinated by you, is one of the most powerful gifts that you can give them. This idea - inspired passion as a thing of value - leads me to say this:

The conventional view would have us believe that the principle of exchange at work in a relationship is commitment for commitment, but the reality of human behavior suggests that the real principle at work is commitment for passion. In exchange for the passion your partner inspires in you, you offer them your continued commitment -- and they do likewise.

Fair's fair.

*Footnote: "affection, attraction, and love" are the obvious/conventional fill-in-the-blank words in this context. My actual ideas about the emotions involved are sort of unconventional, but that's fodder for another post on another day.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe someone of your acquaintance once wrote: "P***y is a process, not a problem. You can't solve it. So learn to enjoy the process."

This is a really good post, but truthfully I am surprised because I believed you were already operating with these distinctions rather than coming to them lately.

Hitori said...

Yes and no - I've certainly understood the principle you just quoted for a long time. If you think that quote adequately summarizes the whole essay, though, you're working with a handicap.

To be absolutely honest with you, it doesn't seem to me like that particular gentleman of my acquaintance really "gets" the distinction between description and definition socially. I say this because of some of the theories he's signed on with - theories that, in my view, discarded the descriptive baby long ago and retain only the definitive bathwater.

More, he's often right on relationship questions but the vibe I get at this point is that he *just happens to be* right; if you take him out of his depth theoretically he'll tell you you've "gone off the deep end".

-Hitori

Anonymous said...

Stunning post, Hitori. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Awesome article!

I'm in an exclusive relationship at the moment, and my girl (who knows about the seduction community) and I share the same opinion.

A relationship is not some contractual agreement you enter, that you must protect at all cost. A relationship is what happens when you start sharing stuff so deep with another person than the only natural outcome is to get closer and closer, and start planning your future together.

I.e. the relationship is not something you create, it's something that happens because you two are sharing something special.

When we have had our little problems (everyone has them, right?) we've never focused on "working on the relationship". We've always worked on each other. Seeing what the other person needs, or wants. Working on our mutual attraction and the rapport we share. Giving space sometimes, taking more time together other times... but never placing the all-sacred "relationship" above everything: the relationship is just the outcome of it all.

Coincidentally we both agree that this is the key to fidelity: instead of being paranoid about any of us cheating, we realize that cheating is just the logical consequence of looking elsewhere for something you are not finding within your relationship. That way, when everything goes well, the possibility of cheating is a non-issue. And if things go sour, instead of keeping the charade of maintaining a social contract, each can go his/her own way and no harm done.

This also kind of shows the inanity of memes such as "the relationship for the rest my life". A relationship is good as long as both persons within it feel fulfilled. When this does not happen any longer, maintaining the relationship for the sake of it is insanity.

It reminds me of Tony Robbins, who people criticise because he gives advice on relationship, and he himself got divorced. Apart from whether Robbins' advice is helpful or not, the termination of a relationship is not a wrong thing per se, nor is a good thing to prolong a doomed relationship. But many people seem to hold in more esteem the concept of the relationship itself that the happiness of the people involved, thus deeming the ending a relationship a failure. So wrong.

Regards,

Wulfen

Unknown said...

The next level of thinking, which will free you from focusing on analyzing relationships, is to stop trying to make life "fair" in your mind.

Just accept it and live it.

Eastern philosophies can get you there.

anonymous #1 is on point. What makes you want to engage people and to fuck, and what enables you to do it, is not the same part of your brain that creates "problems" (e.g. what does this or that MEAN? HOW do I do this or that?) and tries to "solve" them. The process is an unconscious one. The only choice you have is whether to enjoy it or be frustrated by it.

Hitori said...

Wulfen:

I enjoyed your comments, though I don't have much to offer in direct reply. Sounds like you have a good thing going with your girl.

Kahala:

It's interesting that you take this entry as some sort of attempt to rationalize relationships as "fair," since that's never been something I thought much about. In fact, I've always felt that there is nothing more fair than the social world - a world where you offer what you want and take or leave what you're offered. If anything, what I'm doing here is exploring the nature and the purpose of exchange that goes on.

If you're familiar with my posting history at ASF (where I assume you found this blog), you should be aware that the approach I take to analysis is very - deliberately - different from what ASFers would call my "in-field" approach. I'll comment more on that re: your comments on "Burn your own Trail," though, since all of this dropped into my inbox at once.

Rooster said...

Hitori,
I am posting this here for lack of a better place. Thank you for this awesome blog, and your participation in the community.

Your balanced, objective insights into the female mind are a rare gift to the community. I hope everyone appreciates it as much as I do. Please keep it up.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Didn't expect post-modernism (at least, deliberately) from anyone within the PUA community. I was pretty sure they revoked your player card for writing anything that didn't separate ideas with $$$$ signs.

Any theory background?

Hitori said...

SoCo:

My formal background is limited to the typical 101 undergrad sort of exposure - but if I had a mission in life, I guess you could say, it would be to identify and question each of my own premises; not infrequently this puts me on a collision course with Yon Philosophy Types.

I could add some $$$$$$$$$$s, though, if you like.

-Hitori

Anonymous said...

No, $$ signs not necessary. Promise. I'm a little confused by the... diverse selection of blog links. Somehow I don't picture David Shade and Eliezer Yudkowsky getting along all that well.

I think you're really on to something with the dangers of naming. A lot of post-structuralist theorists talk about this; it seems like your presence as a "woman" writing this blog undermines a lot of the assumptions that the PUA community operates on.

Now, shameless self promotion: I wrote something about this a while ago. Why don't you check it out and let me know what you think?

http://mysoutherncomfort.wordpress.com/2008/11/01/alternative-sexuality/